Sunday, November 05, 2006

Always See Christ's Obedience At The Cross

2 Corinthians 10:5
5
Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Have you ever felt condemned because of the bad thoughts you’ve had? You could be in the middle of worshipping God when suddenly a sinful thought enters your mind. Actually, the devil is the one who puts these thoughts in your mind. Then he steps back, looks at you and knocks you on your head, saying, “How can you call yourself a Christian when you think such thoughts?”

I used to be in bondage over the thoughts I had because I felt I had to do something about them. But that’s not what the Word exhorts us to do. You see, God wants us to bring “every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ”. Now, whose obedience are we to focus on? It is Christ’s obedience, and not our own obedience to keep our actions right.

But what does “the obedience of Christ” mean? It refers to Christ’s obedience at the cross, where “by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous”. (Romans 5:19) This means that when our thoughts condemn us, we are to focus them on Jesus’ obedience at the cross.

My friend, the devil can only make inroads into our minds when he gets us to focus on our obedience instead of Christ’s obedience in shedding His blood for us at the cross and making us righteous before God. The devil’s strategy is to point us to our obedience or lack of obedience to determine our standing with God. But just as our position as sinners is not based on what we do but what the first Adam did, in the same way, we are forever righteous today not because of what we do, but because of what Christ, the last Adam, did on the cross.

So the next time when your thoughts seem to condemn you, say, “I am righteous whether I have good or bad thoughts. My righteousness has nothing to do with my obedience or my lack of obedience. Jesus’ obedience at the cross made me righteous.” Then go ahead and pray, knowing that you have access to God and His favour, and that God hears the prayer of a righteous man. (Proverbs 15:29)

This message is the copyright of New Creation Church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping?u=http://dailypeace.blogspot.com
http://www.emailcashpro.com